Here is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) from teachers (in general) that you may want to discuss further with your principal or colleagues, some of this information may be readily available on this website, while for some school it will not be. Please use these questions accordingly to fit your situation and need.
About the school and students:
- Would I be receiving an orientation on my first day of work? If yes, what type of information would I be getting?
- What is my teaching assignment? Do I have any additional duties that I should know about?
- What is my start and end date? When and what time should I be reporting for my first day of duty?
- What is the best way to get to the school? Is it of walkable distance or are cab services available in town?
- Where can I get information on the Nunavut curriculum?
- What type of resources will be available in my classroom and at the school? Should I bring anything or do additional research before my start date?
- Can you tell me about my students… their needs, interests, and challenges? What are the cumulative files? How about the "Maplewood System"?
- Would I have any students with exceptionalities? If yes, what type of support and programming is in place for these individuals?
- Can you tell me about the staff? Who are my colleagues, their teaching assignments and responsibilities?
- Can I get a copy of the school schedule for the school year if it's not available on the school e-profile (on the NTIP site)?
- Who can I contact among the staff for help/ information?
- Are there resources that you can send me so I can be better prepared for my new job? (e.g., the orientation agenda, a school handbook, a typical lesson plan, etc)
- What type of extra-curricular activities are offered at the school?
- What should I expect in terms of technology (e.g., power projector, computer lab, smartboard, wireless connection, a computer for teachers in every classroom)?
- If I have any questions over the summer or when the school is not in session, who can I contact for help?
- Will I have an opportunity to order additional resources throughout the school year?
- Who are the consultants for the Regional School Operation? What type of services or help can they offer me?
- I know Nunavut has implemented a balanced literacy initiative, is this implemented in our school? What do I need to know to support this initiative?